Saturday, February 21, 2015

Tasting - Gnarly Head Cabernet Sauvignon

This past weekend I was with my family at a relatives' house in Charles Town, WV, so I decided to take advantage of the wine-aholics around me and get some tastings in. The first two cabs were also paired with three different cheeses: a fresh colby jack, a white cheddar infused with carmelized onions, and creamy swiss mixed with garlic and herbs. Here we go...

Name: Gnarly Head Cabernet Sauvignon


Name: Gnarly Head Cabernet Sauvignon
Variety: Unlisted
Region: California
Country: US
Year: 2013
Price: $11.99

Winery Review: Gnarly Head Cabernet Sauvignon embodies bold. It’s rich, fruit-driven, and dense, with a juicy core of dark fruit. Our winemakers carefully select grapes from California’s finest growing regions, choosing only the best fruit. Some say that Cabernet is the king of wines and our bold Gnarly Head Cabernet proudly wears the crown

My Review: On the nose, I could sense hints of cherry and smoke, and the first sip confirmed a fruity tartness, similar to a baked cherry pie. In the midpalate, I tasted and oak/smokey flavor, and the wine felt very grippy and strong in my mouth. The aftertaste left a heated, dry feeling on my tongue, and my favorite cheese pairing was the white cheddar as it seemed to bring out more of the dark, fruity flavors in the cab.


No comments:

Post a Comment