Sunday, February 22, 2015

Tasting - Batton Hollow Chardonel

Name: Batton Hollow Chardonel


Variety: Unlisted
Region: California
Country: US
Year: 2014
Price: ??

Winery Reveiw: This unusual grape variety is thought to be a cross between Chardonnay and Seyval Blanc with characteristics of both. Pairs with pork, chicken, or seafoods. Serve chilled.

Okay, a little backstory... I was in WV for a funeral in my family, so many extended relatives were also there, and this bottle was sitting on the counter of shared wines. I'd never seen it before, so I thought, "why not" and poured a glass. After my tastings, I really enjoyed the wine, and asked who'd brought it, only to find it is actually produced by my cousin's family's own local winery in Lost Creek, West Virginia. So after talking with this cousin, scheduling a tentative trip to the winery, and doing some online research at their website, I've found they've only just started making wine within the past year, and this is the first vintage to be produced at Batton Hollow. In fact, the operations are much smaller than the other wineries I've previously visited, with a total bottling of about 5000 in 2014... so needless to say I'm very excited and intrigued to see how a small-scale winery functions, and if all goes well, might be bringing some cases back from West Virginia. Now onto the Chardonel!

My Review: On the nose, it literally smelled like white grape juice. The first sip felt almost buttery, and progressed to a midpalate full of sugary flavors and a zesty lemon twinge. The aftertaste was just as sweet, and felt velvety with hints of vanilly. I sadly only got the last glass of the bottle, but easily and happily could have downed a few more. I'm excited to try the other 6 varieties available, and maybe a sneak peak at some of the seasonal blends they're cooking up as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment